Sunday, January 29, 2017

Rainy Days are When the Books Come Out to Play

Happy Sunday, everyone! I hope yall had an awesome week full of sunshine and blue skies! Here in Georgia, all this crazy hot-cold-then hot again weather we've been having finally led to an onslaught of rain, fog, and even a tornado! My heart goes out to all the people who were affected by this storm, and if you are a member of your local Red Cross, please make sure you donate a little to help those who may not be fortunate enough to pay for the damages and medical bills on their own. The link to the Red Cross website is below.
www.redcross.org/
On the bright side, all the nasty weather meant that I had plenty of time to read the new book in the Kate Daniels series, Magic Binds! This book was excellent, full of the monsters, magic, and epic battle scenes I've come to expect from Ilona Andrews dystopian Atlanta world and ended with Kate and Curran's highly anticipated wedding. If you haven't read it yet, I definitely recommend picking it up the next time you're at the book store or library! You won't be sorry :)

I also had lots of downtime to spend with my daughter, a.k.a. the princess of my life, which was just what I needed after all the rush-rush-rush of work. We played dolls, had a tea party, and read (and re-read some of her favorite books before sitting down to an easy but delicious dinner of organic soup, sandwiches, and chips. For an extra special treat, we started watching A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix! I read these books years ago and loved them, and while I enjoyed the movie starring Jim Carey, I have to say that so far this series is better! With more time to stretch between episodes, they were able to get more of the books on the screen, which is always an important factor to me when I watch a book I read come to life, and the casting is perfect! Neil Patrick Harris is Count Olaf to a tee, and the Boudelaire children look exactly like I pictured them in the books! Even the supporting cast, like Justice Strauss (can I PLEASE have her library?!), Mr. Po, Jacquelyn, and Gustav are excellent, and Patrick Warburton narrating the show as Limony Snickett just like said author did in the books is the cherry on top. My daughter is enjoying them immensely (she has already devised a way to foil Count Olaf's evil plans), and so am I, although now I can't wait to read this series with her as well after we finish Harry Potter. :)


In bookish news, I held my first reader-feedback Q & A on Twitter! The questions I asked were in regards to love triangles, i.e. I chose my favorite love triangles as well as some other popular ones and asked readers who they would choose out of each one if they were the main character, since the second book in the Star Crossed series, Fathoms Above, which comes out this year, contains a love triangle between Cather Stevens, Hermes, the Book Keeper and Messenger of the gods, and a mortal named Peter Gannis. And the responses I got back were fantastic! Thanks so much to everyone who participated! It was really nice to hear other people's opinions on these love triangles, and I hope that you all check out Fathoms Above when it comes out. :) If you missed this live Q & A, you can read it here on my Twitter feed. But that's not all. I also got a response to my Q & A from one of my favorite authors, Priya Ardis, who wrote the My Merlin series. (These books, which center around the King Arthur myth that says one day Arthur will rise again and bring Avalon to the Earth, were an excellent fantasy series, full of magic, mythology, and monsters.) Not only did she respond to my question about the love triangle in her books, but she participated in the entire Q & A and, as if that wasn't enough, looked up my book and gave it a review boost! I'm pretty sure that everyone I work with now thinks I'm clinically insane, because I jumped up out of my chair and proceeded to bounce around the office, squealing excitedly when I saw it lol, and you can see it for yourself below.

https://twitter.com/authorlauraholt

I sold my first paperback off Amazon this week (yay!), got my first royalty check (double yay! My bills and cupboards thank you, readers.), and did some HUGE updates to my website. There is now a page for each one of my separate series, starting with the Star Crossed one of course. Here you can read quotes from each of the books in the Star Crossed series, read more about the tragic love stories that inspired it, view how I see my main characters on my character board, listen to some of the songs that were my writing soundtrack for this series, and stay up to date on book signings and author appearances. Check it out for yourself by clicking the link below and let me know what you think. :)

holtlara2.wixsite.com/lauraholt

Only three more days until Fathoms Above goes to my editor! (Come on, February 1st! Get here already lol.) I am so excited to work with the lovely and talented H. Danielle Crabtree as she helps me bring this book to life. And last, but certainly not least, I am so ecstatic to finally announce that there is going to be a second book signing for Fathoms Below, sponsored by and held at my Alma Mater, Hawkinsville High School! There's no set date or time for this event yet, so make sure you check back on my feeds as I update them for one. But I ordered the books today, and they are set to be here by Feb. 13, so I am thinking sometime during the first week of March. A GIANT thanks to my mom, who teaches at Pulaski County Middle School, all the English Literature teachers at the middle and high school, the school librarian, and the school superintendent for helping to make this event a reality! I never forgot a single word of encouragement that each one of you gave me growing up about my writing, and I look forward to working with you to finish planning this event.