Monday, January 16, 2017

A Week's Worth of Highlights

Brr! It's been super cold and windy here in middle Georgia this past week. We never did see any snow (I don't think we've had even a flurry since my daughter was 4), so I'm just trying to keep warm and not get blown over by the wind! I hope everyone else had fun building snowmen, making snow angels, having snowball fights, and all that jazz!

The good news about all this cold weather is that I had plenty of time indoors to finish writing chapter nine of my new untitled YA fantasy. I haven't finished Ice Like Fire by Sara Rassch yet (but then, it's so good, I almost don't want to finish it, even though I'm super anxious to see what happens next). However, I did send out some more sell sheets to libraries and got Fathoms Below one step closer to being available to checkout for anyone in the PINES library system by donating a paperback copy to the M. E. Roden Memorial Library. It will be available within two months, so look for it then in the online PINES catalog, which is available on the computers at your local library and on your phone and personal computer.

I had the amazing privilege of reading an unedited excerpt from the lovely and talented Allaina Daniels' upcoming book, and needless to say, it was fabulous! When this girl writes, I'm telling yall, she packs a punch that leaves you reeling for hours after reading it! Her first book, Infinity, is currently available on Amazon in paperback and on Kindle. If you like paranormal fantasies with a healthy dose of romance, you should definitely check it out! You won't be disappointed!

I caught up with one of my best friends from high school at my local Dairy Queen! He bought a signed copy of my book and we talked about all the stuff that's happened since we last saw each other. Needless to say, it took longer to go over everything than it did for him to eat his blizzard lol. I also watched the Golden Globes and participated in the Live Twitter feed for this event with many other authors and agents. It was so much fun! I haven't watched an award show in years, and I really enjoyed seeing all my favorite stars on the red carpet. Sarah Jessica Parker's ensemble was definitely the highlight of the night as far as I'm concerned, and congrats to all the nominees and winners!

On Saturday, as those of you who follow me and/or read my last blog post know, I celebrated my little princess's eighth birthday and had such a great, device-free day with her. After a special birthday breakfast of organic Frosted Flakes sprinkled with pixie dust (aka green sprinkles), I took her to the hair salon, where she got a special birthday trim and hairstyle, and I got my layers trimmed for my upcoming book signing. Once she was all primped and pampered, we ate lunch at a little hole-in-the-wall gem called Lacy's Burgers and Dogs. With both of our allergies, it's a trial sometimes finding a place where we can both eat, and the people here were so accommodating! Add in the quaint, stylish decor, reasonable prices, and the fact that my daughter ate two hamburgers, and I give it five stars! When we were full, it was time to head to Toys R Us for some birthday shopping with the gift card she got for Christmas. Naturally, she bought the Moana doll set, and with dolls in tow, we hit our last stop of the day: Cold Stone Creamery for a special birthday ice cream treat. She had Oreo cookies and cream, while I indulged in a cup of soy-free chocolate. :) It really is difficult balancing being a mom, an author, and having a full time job, and I could tell that she appreciated my undivided attention. Still, my heart melted when she told me "I'm so glad we did this today, and that we did it together, just you and me, Mommy. This was the best birthday ever." Just what I needed to hear.

The big news though, of course, is that Saturday was the big day! I hit the road with Fathoms Below and went to Savannah, Georgia for the January Art Walk, where thanks to the wonderful Tiffany Taylor Gallery, I participated in both the Opening Ceremonies and the actual Art Walk itself, which promotes other local artists like myself, after which I was the featured author at the Art Walk After Party at the gorgeous Andez Hotel! There, dinner and cocktails was followed by a presentation of Fathoms Below by yours truly and a book signing, where copies of Fathoms Below were available to purchase. Needless to say, I spent the better part of this past week getting ready for this exciting event: choosing outfits, coordinating with my sister, who is the curator at the Tifffany Taylor Gallery and the absolute best at what she does, packing, filling out note cards for my presentation, practicing my presentation, and working with Tiffany Taylor Gallery's graphic designer, Shayla Chavanier, who created the most fabulous advertisement and poster for the Art Walk!

To see all the pictures I posted from this awesome event, check out my Instagram and Twitter feeds at @authorlauraholt, and thanks so much to everyone who came out and supported me, Fathoms Below, the Art Walk, and the Tiffany Taylor Gallery! I had a blast getting to meet you all! :)